L'étoile puante -1

The Saga of the Stinking Star

Epoch I, Volume 1, Book1, Chapter 1

All they will find is my beer and my shirt (T. Waits)

L'étoile de la mort qui pue



Poets have always had some business with stars. Science fiction writers have obviously been very busy with stars too. But no poet has ever been renowned for his interest in SF, and likewise, no SF writer ever had the slightest inclination for verses. The only notable exception to that rule was the universally acclaimed Edgar Nement.

Tout le monde sait que la poésie et la science fiction sont deux genres littéraires excessivement chiants. C'est dire si l'oeuvre d'Edgar Nement est justement réputée pour être une des plus ennuyeuses qui soit. D'abord par son incroyable longueur, et par son manque total d'intérêt, en effet tous les personnages sont terriblement fades, à commencer par Ed lui-même, et l'action, pour autant qu'on puisse parler d'action, se déroule plus lentement que la révolution d'alpha-Gargouilly autour de son étoile mère. Mais surtout, cette tentative absurde de concilier poésie et SF fut écrite dans sa version originale entièrement en vers vulgariens, une langue quasiment morte à la grammaire extrêmement confuse. Ce qui fait qu'en termes d'ennui, on peut dire que l'oeuvre de Nement dépasse même celles d'Austen ou de Proust.

Ed was rightly famous on two accounts. First, he was the man who discovered the way to travel faster than light, making a reality of the old human dream to "boldly go where no man has gone before". But also, he gathered the sum of his travels and wild adventures through the vast universe into a barely less vast work in unique verse known as the Stinking Star Saga, the style of which is said to equal if not surpass the one of masters such as Austen or Proust.

En gros, ce gars prétend avoir découvert le moyen de voyager plus vite que la lumière. Moi, je me demande s'il n'a pas tout simplement découvert une nouvelle variété de pavot particulièrement active.

Today, I dare say I have reached an honorable level of fluency in vulgarian, the language in which Ed originally composed his huge epic poem, and I feel confident enough to attempt a translation and edition of this awesome work, for the greatest benefit of humanity and the few other races which have a better command of earthly languages than of vulgarian. The original translation was made into English, for its many grammatical similarities with vulgarian. An attempt of French translation is also proposed for those of you who value garlic more than epic.

Ma connaissance du vulgarien (sans parler de l'anglais) est plus qu'approximative. Donc, c'est une adaptation française très libre que vous trouverez ici, mais de toutes façons, tout le monde s'en fiche, car elle ne saurait être pire que l'originale. Et à vrai dire, tant que les éditions Bourgois me payent pour ce travail, moi je m'en bats l'oeil aussi.

I may not live old enough to see the end of this task, but I hope that if such is the case, others will come behind me to whom I may pass on the torch. Or if the flame of the torch dies out, they will light it anew, for example if I drop it in a puddle, or if there is too much wind or rain for this poor flickering flame, or if the wax just burns out. Maybe it would be a good idea if someone would care to follow me with a pot of wax, and maybe some refreshments.

But I'm straying. Let's now listen to Ed' story.

Mais peuvent-ils vraiment fabriquer des torches qui brûlent même sous la pluie? Enfin, j'ai finalement décidé d'utiliser une lampe de poche électrique, c'est quand-même bien plus pratique.

Allez, zou. Au boulot.

Zaphod, editor

***

Nous avons vu des astres
Et des flots; nous avons vu des sables aussi;
Et, malgré bien des chocs et d'imprévus désastres,
Nous nous sommes souvent ennuyés, comme ici.
(C. Baudelaire)

Universe is just a heap of boring shit
Those who have not seen my home
Have not seen the worst of it.
(Translation: Zaphod)

***

Don't ever call me Ishmael again.

Call me Whatever if you like, for it was my second name.

Indeed, when my father, briefly lifting his eyes from the newspaper,

Asked my mother how she would like to call me,

The bored woman just said "Oh, whatever".

"That's not bad" replied my father, going back to his reading.

And so was my full name eventually settled to

Edgar Whatever Nement.

Now if you want to please me, just call me Ed.

But never Ishmael.

J'ai horreur qu'on me confonde avec cet abruti d'Ismaël. Nous n'avons rien en commun. D'abord, j'ai voyagé bien plus loin que lui ; ensuite, moi j'ai vraiment vu le ventre de la baleine de l'intérieur, et j'y ai respiré les gaz mortels issus de la digestion du plancton. Et encore, quand je parle de baleine, c'était en réalité un monstre bien pire, c'était ... l'Etoile Puante !


I have always lived with the dim feeling
That my parents had no real desire for a child,
And also that I was a perpetual disappointment to them.
Head-accountant at Peevish, Selfish & Gibberish inc. ,
My father had once expressed the wish
That I would follow the same line of career as him.
I tried to please him and did my best to concentrate on long and boring studies.
I conceived from that time a lasting disgust for numbers.

[NDLR : vous trouvez peut-être que ces vers sont particulièrement libres, non ? Mais je vous rappelle que ce texte est une traduction assez littérale du vulgarien et que les formes poétiques vulgariennes classiques peuvent facilement déconcerter un esprit non averti. Quant aux esprits avertis, ils n'y prêtent plus aucune attention. Enfin, à l'occasion, j'essayerai d'y mettre plus de rimes.]


My parents barely talked to me, and I acquired from my childhood, some strange quality of transparency.
I had neither a close friend, nor a close enemy.
I was never invited to birthday parties,
Never selected in a sports team.
On several occasions, I was left behind on school outings,
And brought back home late at night by the police.
But once, even the police officer forgot me,
And I spent the night locked in an empty police station.
During those sorry years, my only true companions were books.
I read tons of SF for the seek of escape, and spent nights writing poems.
I sent a lot of poems to editors, but they were at best turned down with a scowling letter,
And more often, simply forgotten in some drawer.

Passons sur mon enfance heureuse, mes brillantes études, et mes succès littéraires, car j'ai envie de m'étendre un peu sur mes succès féminins ; c'est bien normal non ?


At thirty-something, I still was nowhere in life.
I lived in a small cheap room on a fourth floor,
Furnished only with a desk, a hard bed, and a wardrobe of respectable size.
I still wrote poetry.
I felt desperately alone.
I fed mainly on cold pizzas and cheap whisky. A lot of whisky.
Then one night, happened the strange event that was going to change my life.
I was lying on my bed, reading some SF after the evening meal.
I was nearly naked for the summer heat made my small room under the roof hot as an oven.
Having absorbed more bad pizza and whisky than usual,
The nature used one of its embedded safety mechanisms,
And I let out an astounding fart.
It was truly the mother of all farts. And the smell of it !
I thought I could not breath anymore.
I could not stay in the room, and I could not leave it, naked as I was.
I did something completely mad.
I ran into the wardrobe, closed the door behind me, and said aloud
"Please bring me quick to the next planet".



Une de mes maîtresses avait la double nationalité irlandaise et italienne. Chaque fois que je la retrouvais chez elle, le menu était invariablement le même : pizza et whisky. J'avais fini par m'y habituer et même y trouver quelque plaisir, d'autant que ce repas rapide nous laissait plus de loisir pour la suite des festivités.
Un soir, alors que nous étions en pleine action dans la chambre à coucher, nous entendîmes des pas lourds et pressés dans l'escalier.
Sans devoir nous consulter, nous adoptâmes chacun le réflexe approprié. Elle remonta les couvertures et posa sur elle un livre ouvert, comme si elle s'était endormie en lisant. Pour ma part, je bondis dans la garde robe et fermai la porte derrière moi.
Je n'étais quand-même pas très rassuré, n'ayant pas trop envie de me retrouver nu face à un mari athlétique et énervé, et c'est peut-être un soupçon de panique qui me fit prononcer la phrase stupide "Conduis-moi vite sur la planète la plus proche".


And then something happened.

The wardrobe started first to tremble, then to shake me as if I was an olive in a martini dry.


Et puis, quelque chose d'étrange se passa, la garde robe se mit à trembler au même rythme que mes genoux.


[NDLR Chers lecteurs, je ne sais si vous avez remarqué, mais il est en train d'essayer de nous faire gober qu'il va utiliser une garde robe comme véhicule et du whisky bon marché comme carburant.]

To be continued ...

Zut! Va falloir que je continue cette foutue histoire, maintenant que je l'ai commencée ...

suite ...